Our Sustainable Approach
Aim: To educate the school community about sustainability, and the choices we make every day, that have wider and more severe implications for our society. A commitment to a new sustainable way of doing everyday activities, which will deliver benefits to our society, health, and economy.
Rationale: Raising the profile of sustainability, could change the choices we make, which could bring potential improvements to our eco systems, our impact on climate change, our recycling habits, our health/wellbeing and inspire new career paths/hobbies for our school community, in the short, medium, and long term.
How: Through a series of student led campaigns, assemblies, discussions, project work, additional resources and can-do actions, all of which will need time, resources, and financial commitments.
Success: The environment and being sustainable is the responsibility of everyone at Villiers High School. Success requires the collective actions of the school community to change traditional habits, both at school and outside school through long term planning, shared teaching and learning, shared leadership and management and activities that are fun, engaging and long lasting.
- Develop green infrastructure – Plant more Trees/Shrubs/Climbers
- Developing sustainability activities in the curriculum
- Increased Eco systems – Awareness on pollinator friendly areas
- Awareness on climate change via student led assemblies
- Awareness on plastic pollution / ocean pollution #ONELESS
- Choices for healthy lifestyles / meat free day / Love food hate waste
- Developing opportunities for horticulture via a Gardening club
- Character growth and student confidence with sustainability
- Develop the Eco committees (wider sustainability engagement)
- More outdoor learning zones and landscaping areas via the Ecological and environmental strategy
- Develop the dialogue around the Biophilia design code
- Increased emphasises on reuse, recycle, reduce, and replace responsibly.
- Building and renovating with energy efficiency and sustainability principles - Passivhauvs
- Maintain Green flag eco award / RHS achievements
- Develop the idea of ‘Grow’
- Awareness of animal cruelty for everyday products and potential substitutes